Thinger.io With Esp-IDF

Hello everyone! I’m looking to find out if there’s a way to use Thinger.io with the Esp-IDF framework, if there’s any native support, or if someone has managed to adapt the libraries to make these two tools work together. I’m just starting to research this possibility, so I don’t have much knowledge on the subject, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if it’s possible and if someone has already accomplished this endeavor.

Hi @Dhuky

Thank you for reaching out. Given this question we’ve gone ahead and tried to integrate the Thinger.io’s Arduino-Library to be used with the ESP-IDF framework and we are glad to say that we were able to use it and connect and ESP32 device to our Platform.

The approach we’ve taken is to add our Arduino Library as a component, alongside the Arduino ESP32 Core from Espressif as explained in their documentation. Once this is done, we were able to call Thinger.io’s Library from the main file of a new project created with ESP-IDF.

If you need further details on what is required or how to integrate it let me know and I’ll try my best to let you know the needed steps or upload an example project for you to test out.

This said, may I ask what devices are you trying to integrate?

We’ve published a blog post on the necessary steps to make this work!

Thank you for the information! I’m working with an ESP32 Devkit V1, and I’ve managed to conduct successful tests with the Arduino IDE. Now, I’m looking to migrate this effort to the Esp-IDF.

I believe this blog post will address all my doubts so far, and I plan to test this method soon.

I’m truly grateful for the patience and support provided :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity: what does the ESP IDF provide more than the Arduino IDE?
I am doing quite a lot on ESP32 and ESP 8266 using the Arduino IDE and Thinger, am I missing great functionalities?

1 Like

Hello! I apologize for such a late response, if this topic is still of interest to you I can talk a bit about it.

The ESP-IDF (Espressif IoT Development Framework) is the official development framework for the ESP32 microcontroller series, developed by Espressif itself, it is based on the FreeRTOS kernel and provides native support for real-time multitasking which are fundamental for some more complex IoT applications. Therefore, if you are missing more advanced features or need deeper control over the development environment, the ESP-IDF may be an option to consider. But the Arduino IDE is still a powerful tool, a good part of the resources present in the ESP-IDF can be imported and configured within the Arduino IDE. The ESP-IDF is considerably more complex in some tasks that in the Arduino IDE are considerably simple, if it is your will to experiment with this Framework I suggest going a little slowly before migrating all your projects. :slight_smile:

1 Like