LilyGo-T-Call-SIM800 connect to ThingerIO

Hey there,

did anyone try interfacing LilyGo-T-Call-SIM800 with ThingerIO? I tried run it using ThingerTinyGSM library but it doesn’t work. I think that the library is not compatible with it. Is there any suggestion of how to solve this?

In fact, the best is to establish first the Internet connection independently of Thinger with the standard bread and butter libraries and to start the Thinger instance with:
ThingerESP8266 thing(THINGER_USERNAME, THINGER_DEVICE, THINGER_CREDENTIALS);
once you have got a running network.
That should be completely independent of which kind of lower level layer you are using to provide the Internet services.

Hope it helped…

I think it would require a deep look. I have such device around here, hope I can take a look on it the next week. Do you have any clue about what is happening? Compiler errors, debug, etc.?

I think that the @rin67630 approach will not work without modification. Client libraries checks the network layer to handle reconnection, especially in the mobile environment.

In case of the ESP8266 WiFi, the network reconnection is done by the ESP firmware out of the box.
There is no need to manage that separately.
In case of the SIM800 library (i have ordered one to test) the external library should do that as well, at least it should.
It should not be the task of the application layer to manage session duties.
But that is just my opinion.

I remember that I have make it work (the ESP32 with SIM800 separated), you need to be sure that you are using the propper communications pins (TX and RX, no other pin needed, I guess they had linked pins by default, as they share the same board), what I’ve seen is that the combination works very well with hardware pins, not emulated ones as software serial library does.

Make sure the microcontroller is communicating properly with the GSM module, there are sketch on internet to send AT commands across serial console to receive answer from the GSM module, I would verify this before modifying any library or digging elsewhere.