Bucket write limit 1 point / minute

Hi with Maker accounts, the max to write buckets is one point / minute.
Is that a hard limit or an average?
I will have several devices writing from time to time to the same bucket.
So it can happen that two devices will be writing to a bucket quasi-simultaneously.
Can information get lost?

Hi,

It is a hard limit, the bucket wont allow write more than 1 dataset / min.

If the end device cannot keep the dataset until it can be written, it will be lost.

Hope this helps.

That is absolutely catastrophic !
Since one can never prevent two devices to write in short sequence, data will be lost.

I can understand that Thinger wants to arbitrarily limit the server load to a reasonable use, but hardly cutting every minute is absolutely not customer-friendly.

Limiting to e.g. 60 values in a hour would be much more friendly by keeping the same amount of maximum data.

Hi @rin67630,

Yes, Maker accounts do have limitations, and in this scenario, the data will indeed be lost. The public community server imposes these constraints to manage and balance data writes over extended periods.

Given your criteria, I’m uncertain if it aligns with any standard use case. It’s conceivable that a user, due to a firmware glitch, might make 60 writes in just a few seconds. This would result in data being recorded every hour, rather than every minute. From our observations, such scenarios are quite common in Maker environments.

However, a possible workaround could be using a separate data bucket for each device. Is there a reason this approach wouldn’t be suitable for you?

Thank you for your reply.
I just don’t understand, why it were less a load to the server to have 25 devices making a write to 25 buckets, compared to 25 devices making a write to one bucket.

And, OK, 60 writes in one second should not put a server on it’s knees, does it?

The point is that, with the current restriction design, it is practically not possible to write halfway safely from several devices to one bucket.

Since the maker account allows 25 devices, why not limit to 30 writes max in 30 minutes?

Using several buckets is a pain, since you have to merge them externally for long term evaluation.

It is not a problem with the load, but how IoT is supposed to work… a device provides data on a regular basis, which is not a problem with our current limiting method. But you are trying to mix all of them in a single bucket, which is reasonable, but conflicts with our design.

This is why you can use private server instances, where you can even define a tag value for each device, so you can have all data in a single bucket but indexed by each device… and without any limitation writing data :wink:

I will have to find a workaround. :roll_eyes:
Every device will get a different latency parameter to issue the Hourly / Daily buckets writes with enough timely distance from each other.
And I will have to buffer the information.
That just complicates my program uselessly, just to cope with your inconvenient hard limitation.

Hi,

I’m curious, why don’t you upgrade your plan to get rid of the “inconvenient limitation”?

There is a huge price step between the “maker plan” and the “small private” cloud, which is six times more expensive.
We plan just 9 devices with 20 buckets (18 device specific and two commonly used). The “maker plan” is else perfect for our needs.
Our public interest association has limited resources.
I can cope with the limitation, it’s just a bit more software to delay the daily bucket writes to avoid collisions.
And it’s a good thing to have this specificity explained here in the community.